Melbourne 2015 – Great Ocean Road Drive and Farm Stay

May 20, 2015 in Kids / Travel

The Great Ocean Road (GOR) drive wasn’t on my original itinerary because of the long hours on the road. We are talking about 4-5 hours on the road with multiple stops, whenever necessary. With essentially (only) about 5.5 days in Melbourne, I wasn’t too keen on spending so much time on something I thought was not exactly kids-friendly and possibly too tiring for the driver (aka the Husb) who was not likely to get much rest on the flight. The husb, however, insisted that no trip to Melbourne would be complete if we didn’t do the GOR and see the Twelve Apostles. So we went and as it turned out, it was one of the best bits of the trip for us!

Based on what V shared on our Petite Traveller‘s blog, I planned the GOR drive to Port Campbell on our first day of Melbourne, booked ourselves a farm stay at Macka’s as a pit stop before heading to the Twelve Apostles the next morning.

First stop was the supermarket at Werribee Plaza, where we could get milk for the kids and food stuff for our breakfast on the second day at the farm. At this point, I’m glad to update officially that I no longer have to travel with formula milk! WOOHOO.

And we were all set for our long drive!

The kids caught up on sleep, while I tried hard to keep awake to accompany the Husb.

After an hour or so on the road, we finally caught glimpses of the ocean. There were several spots that allow cars to stop along the way, so we went to admire the view while the kids were snoozing in the car.

The cub woke up soon after and joined us. It was so much more fun to share such beautiful sights with our babies! No wish-you-were-here moments, but we had some wish-you-were-not-sleeping moments especially for the lil’ dragonlady on this trip!

With showers of blessings and beautiful sun rays shining across the skies, we were lucky to encounter several rainbows on our GOR drive.

After about 2 hours of drive, we stopped at Lorne Beach Pavilion for lunch. The food was pretty good and the view from the restaurant just makes everything taste even better.

Headed to Macka’s Farm next for our first night of stay in Melbourne.

Our lodge was spacious and well-equipped. The farm owners kindly provided us extra beds for the kids, who didn’t appreciate the gesture and squeezed with us on the queen-sized bed.

We headed out for dinner since there was not much to see or do on the farm at night.

A short drive away from the farm is Nico’s Pizza and Pasta at Port Campbell. Excellent casual Italian food here!

The next morning, the cub was excited to go check out the animals again. Got his Daddy to go with him while I stayed in with the lil’ dragonlady who was sleeping in. The cub had such a wonderful time getting up close with the farm animals – he made friends with a jack russel, got to feed the alpaca and even milked a cow! Looking at how much he was enjoying the whole new experience sure made the stress of me being surrounded by cats (somewhat) worthwhile!

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Ai Sakura May 20, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I want to do a road trip in Aust!! This looks so fun.

By the way, I’m not that big a fan of cats too 😛 Some of my friends thought it was so weird that I married hubby, who is a vet and always has cats around him haha

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

• Reply Missus Tay May 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM

actually more importantly is to have 身边的人 not afraid of cats, then you have them to protect you! 😉 so it’s great that your hubby can not only protect you but also look out for the cats.

• Reply Bumble Bee Mum September 15, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Actually I love doing long drives with the kids to allow them to catch up on their Zzzs. And if my hubby is the one driving, I would just doze off rather than stay awake to keep him company. Haha! But my rationale is that the kids do not need 2 tired and grouchy parents, so I got to get my rest to deal with the kids after they wake up.

• Reply Missus Tay September 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM

i did doze off a couple of times. it’s my way of dealing with motion sickness, i told my husb. haha!

i try to stay awake more during night drives, cos it’s quite scary and two pairs of eyes definitely better.

• Reply Soon Koon September 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Great that I found your blog post because I am taking the Great Ocean Road drive next week. I will sure take some stops to enjoy the beautiful ocean sight.

• Reply Angie.S September 15, 2015 at 4:48 PM

It’s been so long since we last visited Melbourne. Your post is making me so wanna return again, this time with the kids in tow! 😀

• Reply Missus Tay September 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I think places like Melbourne, Perth are great for young children around AJ’s age. Next hols!

• Reply Phoebe September 15, 2015 at 6:39 PM

I think it will be difficult for my family to go on a road trip like yours. My hubby is the only person who can drive in the family and he hates the idea of driving such long distance. Maybe I have to wait till my kids can drive before we go Melbourne. 😀 hahaha

• Reply Missus Tay September 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM

no need to wait so long. hire a driver! then your husband can relax too. 😉

mine prefers to drive himself. so even when i know how to drive, i won’t get to drive. works well for me!

• Reply Debs G September 15, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Gorgeous pictures! The Great Ocean Road is a really picturesque drive – my kids don’t mind drives like these cos there’s so much to see out the window.

• Reply Missus Tay September 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM

yes, they were excited to see so many cows and horses along the way when we made the return drive back to the city.

• Reply Kless @ The J Babies September 15, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Oh gosh, you managed to capture such beautiful rainbows!!! One of my best road trip memories was also in australia – I think it’s the freedom and vastness that we Singaporeans seldom get to experience that makes it so wonderful.

• Reply Missus Tay September 17, 2015 at 10:10 AM

indeed. we don’t get to see so much unblocked view of the big blue skies over here. the kids loved the cool weather too.

• Reply mmlittlee September 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE! No Melbourne is made complete without GOR and I will definitely do that with the children =) I miss that trip pre-kids. Carefree! We rented a convertible and felt like Kings of the World. haha But we also kena fined for speeding. The fine came all the way to our mailbox in Singapore. Oh gosh look at that! You found a beautiful Rainbow!

• Reply Missus Tay September 17, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Glad I went along with his suggestion! It was unbelievable how many rainbows we saw during the GOR drive. Even double rainbows!

• Reply Edmund Tay September 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Love the picture of the kids sleeping. I think my children will have similar positions when they go for such a drive! 🙂 Must bring them for the GOR Drive someday soon! 🙂

• Reply Missus Tay September 19, 2015 at 12:59 AM

I like how easily they just doze off while looking out of the windows and how they simply wake on their own and continue watching the scenery by their windows.

• Reply jamie February 12, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Hi there,

i am also planning a trip to Macka’s farm during my GOR trip. But they needed my credit card details of 50% deposit. Since you have been there, just want to check is that the case?

Jamie

• Reply Missus Tay February 12, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Hello Jamie! Yes, that’s right. Need to pay deposit by providing credit card details.

Have a great trip!